Applications for the 2018-2020 board term open summer 2018!
“Serving on the YNPN [Chicago] board has been the most meaningful professional development experience I’ve had thus far.” -Lauren King
Serving on YNPN Chicago's Executive Board has allowed me the opportunity to learn new skills. I don’t do communications in my day-job, but it pairs really well with fundraising so I am getting exposure to areas that will help my career.“ -Amy Podlesak
“I know that the hands-on skills I’ve developed from being on a working board will serve me as I continue to grow as a leader.” -Katie Pieper
Who We Are
YNPN Chicago’s Executive Board is comprised of 15-20 young professionals from the city’s mission-driven organizations. While we are primarily comprised of nonprofit professionals, we are welcoming to those of other sectors. The all-volunteer, working board oversees all of YNPN Chicago’s operations and activities and is committed to strengthening the nonprofit community. Serving on the board offers a unique opportunity to influence the direction of Chicago’s nonprofit sector and the chance to interact with the city’s best and brightest public service leaders.
How It Works
While all board members are involved in shaping the direction of YNPN Chicago, the board structure invites a primary focus on one specific area of the organization. Currently, our function areas include: Communications, Programming, Special Events, Finance, Development, Membership, and coordination with YNPN National. YNPN Chicago remains flexible in changing focus areas depending on evolving needs and capacity. Board members serve a two-year term and are required to attend monthly meetings on a designated weekday evening. Board members host meetings at their offices, which are typically downtown. Individuals elected to the board are also expected to contribute financially in the form of one-time annual dues.
What We Look For
- Passion for the mission of YNPN Chicago and the larger nonprofit sector
- Availabilty to dedicate an average of 10 hours per week on YNPN Chicago responsibilities and activities
- Organized, self-starters who are eager to contribute and able to accomplish projects with little supervision
- Deadline-driven and detail-oriented professionals
- Ability to balance idea generation with execution
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative, team environment
- Clear track record of successful leadership
- Demonstrated skills and experience related to specific focus area
- Comfort being an ambassador of YNPN Chicago to the larger community
Applications for the 2018 – 2020 board term will be open in early July 2018.
While YNPN Chicago membership is not a requirement to be eligible for Board service, preference will be given to those who have demonstrated engagement with YNPN Chicago through membership and/or event attendance.