Job Title: Director of Individual & Major Giving and Special Events
Organization: About Face Theatre
This Director of Individual & Major Giving and Special Events is one of two positions that create the Development Department. This Director of Individual & Major Giving and Special Events is a full-time position responsible for all fundraising activities for About Face Theatre including individual and major gifts, fundraising appeals, planned giving, and events (including an annual gala, cultivation events, company events, and opening nights).
This position reports to the Artistic Director, but collaborates closely with the Director of Institutional Giving, the Managing Director and the Marketing Coordinator as well as the Board President and Board Committees, particularly the Development Committees.
• Develop strategy around all fundraising activities and manage planning and execution.
• Support and partner with Board and staff leadership to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to cultivate individuals and major donors.
• Partner with the Board to empower them to cultivate major and individual gifts.
• Work in partnership with the Managing Director to develop and track progress against the Development budget. Oversee monthly reconciliation of income and expenses and provide periodic re-projections against budget for Finance department.
• Develop and oversee strategic planning for capital and/or endowment campaigns, including creation of related materials, prospect research and cultivation, correspondence, and major asks as necessary.
• Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the Development program at Board meetings.
• Assist About Face Theatre members with seat reservation and renewals.
Major and Individual Gifts
• Cultivate and steward gifts from individuals by maintaining frequent contact with current major donors and developing new relationships with prospects.
• Coordinate cultivation and stewardship meetings with major donors for Artistic Director, Managing Director and Board leadership.
• Ensure appropriate recognition of donors at all giving levels.
• Coordinate with team in the planning and execution of cultivation events hosted by Board members or targeted to individual donors.
• Work with team to implement two solicitation appeals throughout the year.
• Oversee special stewardship projects including: follow up letters after VIP events, holiday card mailings, invitations to special events, personal calls to donors, etc.
• Develop program around planned giving and fundraising for special projects.
• Oversee all fundraising event planning and preparation in collaboration with the Development and Special Events Committees. Events include an annual gala, 3-4 opening nights, cultivation events, and other company events (play readings, season announcement, meet & greets, etc).
• Secure event sponsors, including in-kind sponsorships.
• Collaborate with Board member volunteers to plan events and solicit auction items.
• Work with Artistic Department to develop event programming and entertainment (as appropriate).
• Prepare event collateral material, plan events, generate guest lists, coordinate leadership and staff, and follow through on event logistics and execution.
• Cultivate relationships with corporate sponsors on an ongoing basis.
• Work with Director of Institutional Giving to update corporate sponsorship materials for 2016/17 production season including sponsorship benefit levels and solicitation letters, track sponsor contracts, and ensure AFT honors its obligations with respect to these contracts.
Location: Chicago (Andersonville)
Job Type: Full Time
• 5 years of professional development experience with a nonprofit organization.
• Demonstrated experience in strategic planning; managing people and budgets; ability to work in a hands-on environment; computer literacy and knowledge of Patron Manager or Salesforce is highly desirable.
• A successful track record of identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individual donors, corporations and foundations.
• A record of measurable results in organizing and implementing such activities as: major gifts, annual gifts, direct mail, and special events.
• Strong written communication skills required. Demonstrated ability to write clear and persuasive proposals.
• Should exhibit a high degree of organization, attention to details and ability to manage deadlines.
• Familiarity with Chicago and surrounding communities preferred.
• High energy and passion for About Face Theatre’s mission is essential.
• Ability to work on selected weekday and weekend evenings required.
Education Requirement: Bachelors
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Andrew Volkoff, Artistic Director, at email@example.com.
Last Day to Apply: 05/19/2017
Posted by: Andrew Volkoff, firstname.lastname@example.org