Job Title: Development Intern
Organization: Apna Ghar, Inc. (Our Home)
About Apna Ghar, Inc. (Our Home):
Apna Ghar, Inc. (Our Home) provides holistic services and conducts advocacy across immigrant communities to end gender violence. At Apna Ghar we recognize that immigrant survivors of gender violence in the United States face unique challenges, including limited access to legal, social, protective and support services. Apna Ghar provides comprehensive and holistic services to survivors as they begin their journeys of healing and empowerment. We also conduct community education and address systemic barriers that immigrant survivors face. For more information, visit www.apnaghar.org
Apna Ghar seeks a motivated candidate looking to acquire development and fundraising experience. The development intern will have the opportunity to engage with development and other Apna Ghar staff on a variety of issues and projects, and learn how a development team supports the overall functions of a social service agency. The development intern will also assist with tasks related to our special events, including Taste for Life gala, golf outing, and Stride Against Violence 5K Run/Walk. The development intern will report to the Development Manager. The development manager reports to the Executive Director.
• Administrative tasks related to resource development, including:
o Maintaining accurate entry of donations and contacts in donor database
o Generating and mailing acknowledgement letters
o Gathering required documents and researching funding opportunities, as needed
o Maintaining accurate donor and funder files and other development and communications materials
o Assisting with communications related activities, as needed
• Supporting planning and logistics associated with special events, including:
o Assisting with solicitation and tracking in-kind donations for raffle/auction, including sending out mailings and follow up
o Assisting with recruitment of vendors, committees, and volunteers
o Assisting with supervision of volunteers and set up/clean up at event sites
o Assisting with event follow up, including generating and mailing acknowledgement letters
o Maintaining inventory of event-related materials
• Other development-related duties as assigned by the Development Manager
Time Commitment: Position open until filled, requires a 3-6-month commitment with 10 – 20 hours per week preferred. Days/times are flexible.
Job Type: Temporary
• Excellent oral and written communications.
• Demonstrated success with multi-tasking and juggling multiple priorities.
• Self-starter who takes initiative, highly reliable.
• Good interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
• Desire to learn more about fundraising, philanthropy, and nonprofit special events.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
• Experience with databases is a plus.
• Previous experience with nonprofit fundraisers is a plus.
• Ability to interact with people from a wide diversity of backgrounds and cultures.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• A demonstrated commitment to Apna Ghar’s mission and values.
• Open to undergraduate, graduate students, or others interested in gaining experience in nonprofit fundraising.
Education Requirement: Bachelors
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to Ashley Tsuruda, Development Manager at email@example.com with Application for Development Intern in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Last Day to Apply: 03/31/2017
Posted by: Ashley Tsuruda, firstname.lastname@example.org